Pain Management and State-Of-The-Art Surgical Tools
Getting spayed or neutered does not have to be painful for your pet, and we have the skill, experience, and technology to reduce blood loss, pain, and inflammation before, during, and after the procedure. Here’s what you need to know about our pain management and surgical tools:
- We use two lasers to minimize bleeding and reduce post-operative inflammation. Harmony Animal Hospital doctors employ a surgical laser instead of a scalpel, which reduces bleeding and pain at the surgical site and aids in faster healing. After the procedure is done, we use a post-operative therapy laser to reduce pain, swelling, and inflammation, which helps our patients heal faster.
- Our patients receive three forms of pain medication. We use injectable local anesthesia at the surgery site, an injectable opiate before and after surgery, an anti-inflammatory injection at the time of surgery, and we provide all patients with a take-home prescription for anti-inflammatory medication that aids recovery.
If you are a pet owner planning a spay or neuter procedure, you deserve and can expect excellent communication from the staff at Harmony Animal Hospital. Our communication protocols for spay and neuter procedures are:
- Drop-off review. When you drop your pet off for their spay/neuter procedure, we will review the day with you and answer any questions.
- Pre-operative notification. Before we begin the procedure, we will call or text you.
- Swift communication of any complications. If any complications arise during the procedure, we will call you immediately and keep you apprised.
- Post-operative notification. Once your pet is in recovery and stable, we will call or text you.
- Pick-up review. When you come to pick up your pet, we will review everything that has happened and advise you on what to expect during the next couple of days to weeks. We provide written documentation about the procedure and aftercare, as well.